Thursday 28 February 2013

Argentine Tango Ideas

After my first attempt at designing I have continued to look closely at all types of Latin dresses for ideas.  As it is for a university project I think it is important to keep the tango feel with it rather than go off track by designing a dress that to some may not radiate tango.   I have designed a few dresses which the client has looked at and suggested improvements, what she likes doesn't like, so they are working designs. 


It was established that she really like the one sleeve idea and wishes that to be in the design, before o knew this a drew the design below.  The yellow dress in the previous post and this one were the first 2 I showed her to get ideas of what she liked as she was open to anything.  We sat down and narrowed down what she liked, as said she wanted the one sleeve, she also liked the colour of the dress and the shape of it.  What she didn't like so much was the V of the hem being in the centre of the legs, I suggested it move to the outside of the legs more at a V.  She liked the cut out effect at the waist and the flowers on the hip.

 
My next few designs were influenced by the Argentinean Show Tango Fire which I went to go and see at the Peacock Theatre London.  The costumes were fantastic, there was a mix of traditional and Show dresses with long, chiffon skirts and gathers and sparkles.  My favourite one was a floor length ( not sure how she could dance in it without standing on it) chiffon one with White lace and exposed stomach.  It was  beautiful and moved beautifully on the stage.    I was lucky enough after emailing to go and have a look at some of the costumes including that one to get an idea of construction.  They were constructed in a different way to how I thought, each was done like a dress then Lycra knickers were inserted into in. The trip did give me a lot of inspiration.

I also spoke with Chrisannes in London who allowed me to come and look at their dance dresses that they make.  I went up with my client to look.  They were incredible helpful and got out some Latin dresses for us to look at and gave me last years fabric swatch folder to take away so I can chose my fabrics at home.  We also got shown around the workroom as well which was brilliant, to see where they work was so helpful as you could see the dresses at different stages.  They were made the way I thought dance dresses were with the Lycra body suit and the dress built over the top.  We did get some inspiration for the dress from there, there was this pink dress with a corset style top and chiffon skirt with a split at the side.  It had on the knicker part of it all crystals and beads were covering it, so when danced in just flashes were shown.   I will try to get that into my design.  We also like a purple one very similar to what I had drawn so I will be drawing on that for inspiration.

After both these trips I came to the design below, it is still a work in progress but is a rough idea of what we aer aiming for.  We chose a few fabrics, Velvet being a favourite with the reverse being different pink colour.  It has a lace, stretch net black sleeve with elements of the lace being transferred down the dress.  Crystals will cover in and the knickers so that it is very sparkly.

I do like this design, I am not too sure on the layout of the net.  I am going to start to making the toile soon so will update then.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete