Friday 25 January 2013

Classical Ballet Tutu

Hello, once again university has taken up a lot of my time.  I have really hi the ground running this term with a 4000 word dissertation in and  the start of a new project.  This is the start of my very last term and its all very exciting.  After previously making a romantic ballet tutu I am now expanding my expertise into the Classical Ballet tutu making.  This is very exciting as there are very few people out there who are still teaching the traditional method.  We have some amazing designs designed by fellow student Melissa Burton, from the ballet Sleeping Beauty.  The designs are of the 6 faeries I have chosen the red faerie picture below.






The have been based on Pre Raphaelite era on a painting by Edward Burns Jones called The Briar Rose based in Buscott Manor in Oxfordshire.  As this is not for an actual production we can really interpret it how we like as a group.  They still need to work together as one but as styling goes it doesn't have to be tradition.

As with most ballets there is a signature which will goes across all the designs. They are:

  • 18 panel bodice.
  • vine work on the sleeves.
  • Power net sleeves.
  • cream tutu.
  • Metallic gold layer of organza on the tutu.
My design characteristics have been passion, lust, strength, I need to try and convey this within my chosen colour and decoration.

My design has an extra layer of metallic gold on the tutu.
The designer whats gold and cream beads on the decoration with not a lot of sparkle I like the idea but do think that we need some sparkle otherwise we will all end up with costumes looking beautiful close up but indistinguishable from a distance.  I plan to incorporate some shimmer into my designs.

We have been lucky in that our tutor has managed to get us models from a ballet school so they will be modelled on proper dancers which will be nice and we are now palling a big photo shoot for our portfolio.
We have all decided to buy pointe shoes and tights in order to paint into them to create the full effect of the costume however this is something we shall get after the fitting just in case the dancers has a preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment